New Pokemon Games Announced Via Pokemon Direct
Wednesday June 07, 2017
New Pokémon games due to release later this year on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch™ consoles!
BELLEVUE, Wash.—June 6, 2017—During today’s Pokémon Direct presentation, Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company, and Junichi Masuda, Director of GAME FREAK, announced upcoming Pokémon titles for Nintendo consoles.
Pokémon is making its way to Nintendo Switch later this year with Pokkén Tournament DX. Along with all the content from both the Wii U and arcade versions of Pokkén Tournament, Pokkén Tournament DX also introduces an array of exciting new features to create the ultimate Pokkén experience. Pokkén Tournament DX features include:
• Play Pokkén anytime, anywhere on Nintendo Switch – Play Pokkén Tournament DX in TV mode, handheld mode, or share a Joy-Con controller with another Trainer to battle one-on-one in tabletop mode anywhere!
• A brand-new fighter — Decidueye enters the battle, alongside all previous Pokémon from the Wii U and arcade versions.
• New Support Pokémon – Litten and Popplio make their debut to lend their support in battle.
• Team Battle mode – Pick three Pokémon and battle it out to be the first to defeat all your opponent’s Pokémon to win in the new Team Battle mode.
• Group Match mode – Find similar skilled players in battle rooms for intense and fun battles online.
• Daily Challenges – Complete a variety of different daily challenges.
• Watch battle replays – Hone your skills by watching other players’ replays and share your best matches online with the new replay feature.
• Jump straight into battle - All characters and Support Pokémon will be available right from the start of the game.
Pokkén Tournament DX will launch on Nintendo Switch September 22, 2017.
During Pokémon Direct, viewers also saw the first footage from the newest titles in the Pokémon series, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Two new Pokémon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features from Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are scheduled to release worldwide on November 17, 2017—more information about the games will be revealed later this year.
Also announced, the second titles in the Pokémon series, Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver, will be making their way to the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console. Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver were released in Japan on November 21, 1999, as the second set of titles in the Pokémon series. These games, which debuted as Game Boy Color-titles in Japan, are being recreated into Virtual Console versions such that their screens appear just as they did on the Game Boy Color. Both titles will be compatible with the wireless communication features of the Nintendo 3DS and Trainers can look forward to Link Trades and Link Battles between Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver. In addition, these titles will be compatible with the Time Capsule function, which allows players to Link Trade Pokémon between the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold or Pokémon Silver and the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow in Pokémon Centers within the games. Both titles will be compatible with Pokémon Bank and will also launch on September 22, 2017.